Registered Fire Protection Technicians (RFPTs) work can focus on one or more of the following 9 Endorsements. Learn more about the competencies required for each endorsement by clicking on the endorsement link below. To learn about the certification requirements for each endorsement please refer to the Fire Protection Certification Board Policy.
All RFPTs must have these Fire Protection Certification Policy – Core Competencies 2018
- Portable Fire Extinguishers (EX)
- Unit Emergency Lighting (EM) – note: electrical fundamentals is a prerequisite for certification
- Generator Systems (GS) – note: electrical fundamentals is a prerequisite for certification
- Water-Based Fire Protection Systems (WA)
- Fire Pumps (FP)
- Smoke Control Systems (SM)- note: certification in Fire Alarm Systems is a prerequisite for certification
- Commercial Kitchen Systems Cleaning (CO)
- Special Fire Suppression Systems – Pre-Engineered (SP-P)
- Special Fire Suppression Systems – Custom Engineered (SP-C)
- Fire Alarm Systems (AL) – note: electrical fundamentals is a prerequisite for certification
Please review the certification policy for more information – pages 12 – 14 has Appendix 1: Education, Training and Work Experience Requirements.
***DISCLAIMER: the Verification of Fire Alarm Systems (VI) endorsement has been in abeyance since 2014 and will be until further notice. The SoP references VI but we ASTTBC is not certifying for that endorsement at this time***